Thursday, May 22, 2008

Prayers in the midst of tragedy

Ladies,
I don't know if you've heard yet, but yesterday afternoon Steven Curtis Chapman's 5-year-old daughter Maria Sue was tragically killed at their home. She was struck in their driveway by an SUV driven by her older brother. I cannot even imagine the pain that they are all feeling at this moment--my own heart is physically hurting for them.

I just wanted to post and encourage you all to pray for Steven and his family. Pray for peace for them, especially for their son who was involved in the accident. And also pray for them as so many eyes are on them in the middle of such a dark time in their lives. No one should have to be worried about others' perceptions when they are grieving, but right now believers and unbelievers alike are looking to see how this strong Christian family will react. Please pray that God will give them wisdom, strength, and, again, peace in the weeks, days, hours, and even minutes ahead.

Father, I do not pretend to know or understand Your will, but I know that it is perfect. God, I just pray that You will wrap this family in Your arms and comfort them. Words seem so shallow, gifts so meaningless, but You are the Comforter. I just ask that You will draw them to You, that You will give them strength in the middle of this, and I pray that You will use this sad situation to bring glory to Yourself. Amen.

No comments: